Friday, February 8, 2013

Special Blog Post #1



Misinterpreting data

Misinterpreting data can be an easy mistake. I did a search using WolframAlpha on the population in China, India, and the United States. The results for these three countries were: China had 1.35 billion people, India had 1.21 billion people, and the United States had 309 million people. From these results you can tell who has the biggest and smallest population. The United States is beat by a lot out of these three the United States has the smallest population by far.

WolframAlpha Searches

WolframAlpha is a wonderful search engine on knowledge. I chose to search the population of Alabama and Florida. I chose these two states because Florida is where I was born and I live in Alabama now so I wanted to see the difference. When I asked the WolfranAlpha “What is the population of Alabama” it gave me a lot of great information. It told me that in 2011 Alabama’s population was 4.803 million people, the growth rate was .75% a year, annual deaths were 46,977 a year, and the annual births were 63,232 a year. I then searched “What is the population in Florida” and I was amazed. In 2011 in Florida the population was 19.06 million people, the growth rate was 1.76% a year, annual deaths were 170,066 a year, and the annual births were 236,802 a year. I did not thank it would be that much of a difference between the two but that is a HUGE difference and I was amazed.
This is a very useful search engine. What I really like about this search engine is not only does it just answer your question but it gives you plenty more information close to what you searched. It gives you charts, related information, and anything it feels to be useful. Like when I searched the population of Alabama and Florida not only did it give me the population but it gave me the growth rate, the annual deaths, and annual births of the states. This search engine would be an awesome tool to use in a classroom. It would really help the students and I think they would really enjoy it but not only would it help the students but it would help the teachers too!

Gray Hayes Social Media Chart

Gary Hayes Social Media Chartis AMAZING!! It shows how many people are using Social Media, Mobiles, Games, and Heritage. It is absolutely crazy to see how fast everything is happening in the world. The numbers are constantly growing at a rapid speed. Gray Hayes Social Media Charts shows the amount of people liking and commenting on Facebook to the amount of money the US post Office is making.
Like I have said in a previous post, I have never been crazy about Technology but after seeing this and a couple other things that EDM310 has shown me I have realized just how important technology actually is. I am definitely going to start keeping up with technology now after realizing this. Also as a future teacher I know it is very important to stay on top of technology so I am going to start. Gary Hayes social media count is a wonderful resource and I can promise you this will not be my last time visiting this count. I have really enjoyed this and will use this from here on out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment