Saturday, February 2, 2013

Blog Assignment #3


Peer Editing


In the videos What is Peer Editing and Peer Edit with Perfection Tutorial tells you the meaning of what a peer is, what editing is, and then the full explanation of peer editing. There are three steps to remember when peer editing someone else's writing. The first step is compliments. It is essential to stay optimistic and think about the way you would want someone to proof your work. The second step to remember in peer editing is making suggestions. You can make suggestions about pretty much anything just stay positive. The last step of editing is corrections. Make sure to check for punctuation, grammar, and spelling. Important things to remember while peer editing is stay positive, be precise about what you are correcting and complete all the steps of compliments, corrections and suggestions. It is very important to do all three of these steps so that the writer knows what he or she messed up on and they can fix it next time and not make the same mistake but don’t forget to compliment as well and stay Positive!

Top Ten Peer Review Mistakes


In this video the students did a remarkable job at describing the mistakes that can be made during peer reviews. The mistakes said in the video were: Picky Patty, Whatever William, Social Sammy, Jean the Generalizer, Mean Margaret, Loud Larry, Pushy Paula, Off-Task Oliver, Speedy Sandy, and Defensive Dave. A mistake I could definitely agree with is getting off topic because I have done it plenty of times. It is very easy to do by just talking to your friends instead of being concerned with your paper. This mistake is done every day because students would much rather talk to their friend instead of doing work. I hope other students get the chance to view these videos as well to realize all the mistakes being made so that they can try to correct them too.

Assistive Technologies


I really enjoyed watching The Mountbatten video!! I am so glad to see there is technology and machines for the deaf and blind so they can interact in the schools as well. I would absolutely love to have this amazing machine in my classroom one day. This machine would be wonderful to have in a classroom so that all students could have a chance to learn. I think every classroom or school should have this so that the impaired children can interact with the other students instead of being put in their own room like in most schools do these days. I also feel like it would make the impaired children feel like all the other students in school and make them feel like they are just as important. Also like in the video, Teaching Math to the blind the device used for teaching math was incredible. The usage of brail on the touch sensitive machine is awesome. I am amazed with the technology and machines used for the impaired students. I think it is awesome and very important to have in all schools and classrooms so that the impaired students have an equally way of learning like the other students.

Ipad usuage for the blind


I am extremely amazed by the iPad use for the blind. This is a really stunning to know that our technology is that advanced. I was really interested when they show how to use iBooks on the iPad for the blind. It is very easy for a blind student to operate all you have to do is tap twice on the screen and it will read you your options and you chose one and then twice your fingers clockwise on the screen and it will read the book you chose to you out loud. I think that is extremely special and important because there is no way for a blond student to read unless someone reads to them but now they don’t have to depend on that person they have the Ipad that will do it for them! I think this is an incredible technology and would also love to have this in my classroom one day as well if I had a blind student. I do have one question though is it a certain iPad you have to buy or is it a program that you download on a normal iPad??

Vicki Davis: Harness Your Students Digital Smarts


Vicki has her high school level students really getting involved, interacting and truly learning. If I would have had more teachers who would have taught through technology and student interaction when I was growing up, I might have paid a lot more attention and learned much more information because hands-on is the best way of learning to me. In the video Ms. Davis talks about all the ways the students are learning and mentions how awesome it is to the students when they figure things out together and alone. I agree because when I work really hard and figure stuff out on my own it makes me feel great about myself. It makes you feel like you have accomplished something on your own instead of someone helping you and that is how this EDM310 class makes me feel. Vicki Davis states that "Not all students can learn with just pencil and paper." I so agree with her because I am one of them students. Not only does it make you learn and makes you do it on your own but students are also able to become comfortable with technology. I think making students think it out on their own and solving it on their own is an awesome strategy and other teachers should really try it.

2 comments:

  1. Any iPad, iPad mini, iPhone or Mac. Just go to settings and set the Accessibility Settings as desired. Nothing to buy or add.

    Thorough, thoughtful, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this was a good post! There were a few grammatical here in there but nothing too major. These could easily be fixed by a little extra proof reading. Such as....."you chose one and then twice your fingers clockwise" things like this can easily be fixed by proof reading. But this is a quality post! good job!

    ReplyDelete